Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ugh... Spiders




Did I mention I don't like spiders? I mean, it's not like they've ever done anything to me. I think it stems from this one time as a kid when I thought I was going to pick up one of those Halloween spider rings and it unexpectedly ran across the floor. Much hollering for Dad ensued and the hero did not let me down.

However, standing in The Butterfly Pavilion, surrounded by literally walls and walls of spiders, I seemed to be the only adult who was even slightly bothered. What if there was an earthquake and all the tiny baby tarantulas came crashing down on me? What if the tortoise who was wandering loose on the floor munching on lettuce accidentally opened up a cage, or several of the cages of "Rosie," the famous tarantula which is actually in fact hundreds and hundreds of different tarantulas? Ugh. 

But hey, this is my job. Take pictures of things. Make them look good. And my lovely friend Jill from the Denver Museum of Nature and Science had given me this opportunity to overcome my fears. 

So I snapped away. On some "butcher paper" of all ironic things. The museum needed a photo of two kinds of Colorado specific tarantula species, so I took the plunge. 
There was no earthquake.
The spider, 3 inches from my lens and therefor about 6 from my face, did not dash into my hair, up my nose, or up my sleeve. In fact, he/she was very polite. 
I wouldn't say I love the little guys... yet. But I think I got some kick-ass photos for an arachnaphobic over-reacter to spiders who is trying to change her ways. Ugh.




No comments:

Post a Comment

FACEBOOK LIKE BUTTON